Lesson #1: Everybody’s skin is different.
Lesson #2: Have patience & allow yourself to not be in peak condition for a minute.
Lesson #3: Focus on what you know is right for you.
Your skin can be the biggest indicator of your internal wellbeing. In Traditional Chinese Medicine, different areas of your face align with specific areas of your body, this is called ‘face mapping’.
I experienced adult acne when I was 22 and had a similar story to many others. You buy every product that is recommended, over cleanse/exfoliate/face mask and disregard everything you know you shouldn’t do and you squeeze and attack those suckers!
The biggest take-away from my experience is to allow for patience and allow yourself to not be in your optimal condition for a period of time. This is easier said than done. I struggled mentally more than anything, I removed myself from flying as I was too embarrassed to stand in front of a plane full of people. Even though they probably couldn’t care less!
In terms of diet & nutrition there are foods that will continually benefit your skin. There are also foods & at-home remedies to incorporate when you are experiencing a blemish or two.
Foods for glowing skin:
- Oily fish: Including 2-3 servings of oil fish (tuna, salmon, and sardines) will provide omega-3 to your diet, which produces anti-inflammatory compounds, therefore reducing redness, soreness and dryness.
- Leafy greens: The darker the better! Leafy greens contain powerful anti-ageing antioxidants, known as alpha lipoic acid). These superfoods reduce blotchiness, redness and the appearance of wrinkles.
- Vitamin C: Stimulates collagen, which promotes the repair and growth of skin cells. You can find Vitamin C in lemons, orange, grapefruit.
- Avocado: Hello smashed avo! This powerful delicious treat is full of healthy monosaturated fats, vitamins, antioxidants and are extremely moisturising.
- Nuts & seeds: Full of vitamins and minerals essential for glowing skin.
- Eggs: Eggs are a powerhouse as they contain two nutrients essential for healthy skin. Choline and Lutein. Choline regulates B vitamins and is needed to produce proteins that keep our skin firm. Lutein is an antioxidant that protects the skin’s elasticity and prevents sun damage.
Other foods and remedies that may help when you can feel a break out on the horizon are…
- Turmeric: This bad-boy has to be one of my favourite ingredients both externally and internally. I aim to have a turmeric latte once a day and have learnt to love the taste! For more on turmeric please read……
- Apple cider vinegar: Another great external and internal remedy. By diluting ACV with water to use as a toner, and also consuming on an empty stomach in the morning.
- Tea tree oil: A natural antiseptic, antibacterial and antimicrobial can help counteract microbial growth. Using a tea tree oil face wash and applying diluted tea tree oil on blemishes will speed up the skins healing process. Bonus – non-carcinogenic!
Foods that can cause/anger acne:
- Processed foods
- High sugary foods
- Refined carbohydrates (bread, cereals, white rice)
- Milk chocolate
I began writing about hormones, however this would very quickly turn into a novel. If you would like to learn about hormonal acne and what to do please see my hormones & acne article.
The biggest take-away is to know that it’s okay to have a blemish or two, we are all human!
Finding the best care for your skin is extremely individualised and can be a matter of trial & error. If you have the cleanest of diets and an immaculate skin care regime, yet still having skin difficulties, it may be time to see a practitioner. I encourage you to read the Hormonal Acne article and see if any of the information resonates with you.
Some of my favourites:
- Thursday Plantation Tea Tree Face Wash For Acne
- Blessed by Nature Foaming Facial Cleanser
- Origins Zero Oil Cleanser
- Dilute Apple Cider Vinegar with water (1:3) and use a make-up pad to tone face
If needed, apply Tea Tree to break-outs (at-home: 1:3 Tea tree oil & water) (Shop: Thursday Plantation medicated gel for acne)
- Thursday Planation Tea Tree Face Cream
- Origins Zero Oil
- Blessed By Nature Pure Balance
- bareMinerals Mineral Shield Broad Spectrum SPF 50